Lemons are a superfood and provide 51% of the body’s daily Vitamin C needs as well as thiamin, riboflavin, vitamin B-6, pantothenic acid, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, copper and manganese into your diet. It has low calories (29 cal /100gm) and almost no fat.
1. Cleanses the body
Lemon water has a powerful cleansing effect on your liver by strengthening enzyme functions. The liver is a central organ that aids your internal organs, digestive system, and circulatory system. Warm water with lemon flushes out the toxins in the body and detoxes one of the body’s most important organs.
2. Better Skin Complexion
Lemons contain powerful antioxidants and can help fight skin damage due to the sun or other pollutants. Since lemons contain a high concentration of Vitamin C, which is the main ingredient in the formation of collagen in the body, they are terrific for skin complexion and health.
3. Aids in weight loss and controlling cravings
Lemons will help you lose weight in a variety of ways. First off, pectin fibre present in lemon reduces hunger cravings and makes you feel full. .If you choose to use lemon water in the mornings (highly recommended), will help you feel fuller. Plus, the added effects on the body’s digestive system will help your metabolism work more efficiently and better utilize the nutrients you eat.
4. Beneficial for Hair
Apart from maintaining skin health, vitamin C in lemons also helps in treating and preventing hair problems like split ends, dry hair and dandruff etc. Its antibacterial property fights bacteria, thus preventing several scalp issues.
5. Balances pH & acidity levels
While lemons are commonly associated with being acidic from their taste, they do not act acidic in the body. Lemons actually have an alkaline effect on your body after consumption which will give you better digestion and energy for your day. Having a properly alkalized body will help you sleep better, suffer less colds, have less headaches, wake up with more energy, keep your skin youthful, and improve your digestion. Lemon water will have the opposite effect of acidic foods like soft drinks and sugar which ruin your internal health and throw off the PH of your body.
6. Stronger Immune System
The Vitamin C and other antioxidants found in lemons boost immune system function and help it fight off diseases. Remember that fruits and vegetables are the best sources for Vitamin C.
7. Fights Cancer
Vitamin C and the antioxidants in lemons help to heal your wounds and protect you from getting colds, but they also have a very powerful long-term effect. The nutrients found in lemons can help fight free radicals and contain 22 cancer fighting compounds to lower the risk of developing serious diseases.
8. Oral Health
A cup of lemon water in the morning is good for oral health. Its anti-bacterial property eliminates mouth bacteria which is responsible for causing bad breath. It soothes toothaches and many oral diseases like gingivitis. It also helps in teeth whitening as lemon is a natural bleaching agent. Ensure to gargle with plain water after lemon water intake to avoid tooth enamel damage.
9. Boosts brain function
Lemons also contain potassium which is responsible for better brain function and health.Getting this added boost will increase productivity and happiness throughout one’s day. Potassium doesn’t stop there though… it has also been shown to reduce anxiety, reduce stress, increase muscle strength, increase metabolism, and reduce the chance for heart and kidney disorders. So consuming lemon water right when you wake up will give your brain a boost as well as your body!
10. Heart Health
The heart is a vital organ, so its health and care is extremely important. Lemon juice consumption has been found beneficial for healthy heart. Potassium present in it controls high blood pressure while vitamin C lowers cholesterol levesl and prevents blood clotting within vessels. Lemon has antioxidant properties which eliminates harmful toxins and keeps blood purified. It also prevents strokes, heart attacks and other serious heart problems.
Extra tips for making and drinking lemon water
- Try to drink lemon water in the mornings when you wake up. Lemon water is the most effective when it is consumed first thing in the morning, especially as it relates to weight loss.
- It can be served either hot or cold. Lemon water can be served either way, although many people prefer to drink it warm in the mornings because it’s easier on your stomach acids. You should also drink it warm when you’re feeling sick as it will help relax the body and throat. However if you prefer it cold, you won’t miss out on any of the benefits.
- Use 1/2 lemon for every 8oz of water. This amount is perfect for maximizing the amount of lemon juice consumed without making the taste unbearable.
- Add raw or organic honey to improve the taste. If you still have trouble drinking it, you can add a small teaspoon of raw organic honey to the drink to enhance the taste. Organic honey has many health benefits including powerful antioxidants and digestion support.
- Before it’s squeezed, use the skin. Did you know that the skin from lemons is 5x more powerful than the juice and has powerful cancer fighting properties? Grate/zest the peel and use the shavings on soups, salads, or whatever healthy food you can think of.
- Drink it from a straw. Concentrated lemon juice can be bad for the enamel on the teeth, so drink from a straw when possible.